Welcome to Avahi
What is Avahi?
Avahi is a system which facilitates service discovery on a local network via the mDNS/DNS-SD protocol suite. This enables you to plug your laptop or computer into a network and instantly be able to view other people who you can chat with, find printers to print to or find files being shared. Compatible technology is found in Apple MacOS X (branded "Bonjour" and sometimes "Zeroconf").
Avahi is primarily targetted at Linux systems and ships by default in most distributions. It is not ported to Windows at this stage, but will run on many other BSD-like systems. The primary API is D-Bus and is required for usage of most of Avahi, however services can be published using an XML service definition placed in /etc/avahi/services.
See also the nss-mdns project, which allows hostname lookup of *.local hostnames via mDNS in all system programs using nsswitch
Definition at Wikipedia
* 2017-07-10: We have released Avahi 0.7! The main new feature of this release is the ability to encode binary (non-text) TXT records into XML service definitions (/etc/avahi/services). For full details of all bug fixes, changes and new features check the release page
* 2016-02-16: We have released Avahi 0.6.32! This is a bugfix release with a couple of minor new configuration options or default changes. Full details and downloads at the link. Please file any issues or pull requests through github.com/lathiat/avahi
* 2015-10-10: We have a release candidate, 0.6.32-rc! This is mostly a bugfix release, see the NEWS (Change Log). This is intended for release soon, please file any issues you notice through github.com/lathiat/avahi.
* 2012-02-15: We have released Avahi 0.6.31! This is a bugfix release.
* 2011-04-04: We have released Avahi 0.6.30! This is a bugfix release.
* 2011-03-09: We have released Avahi 0.6.29! This is a bugfix release and fixes a minor security issue.
* 2010-10-05: We have released Avahi 0.6.28! This is a bugfix release.
* 2010-07-13: We have released Avahi 0.6.27! This is a bugfix release.
* 2010-06-29: We have released Avahi 0.6.26! This is a bugfix release and fixes a minor security issue.