Ticket #107 (new defect)
avahi-reflector seems to cause name conflicts
|Reported by:||antifuchs||Owned by:||lennart|
We're having troubles with spurious reports of name conflicts when an avahi-reflector is involved.
At the metalab ( http://metalab.at), we have a simple network setup: a router that does NAT, and a wired and wireless network segment; to ensure that the wired and wireless network segments can get at each others' mdns names, there's an avahi daemon that is configured as a reflector running on the NAT router. The problem with this setup is that since we installed the avahi reflector, machines (most notably apple laptops) report that their name is already in use and pick another name.
This happens at random intervals; sometimes it happens when machines wake up from sleep, sometimes qhen they have been running for some time. At no time could we find an actual naming conflict when one was reported; the affected machine will just pick a new name, but referrals to the old name are (of course) broken.
PS: This problem has been plagueing us for quite some time now; I wanted to wait with this bug report until I could provide a packet capture, but I haven't had much luck yet. I'll certainly put one up here if I get lucky.